It is commonly found in and around the forests areas under Chalakudy Division.Itis also cultivated by the hill tribes and other forest dependent communities.
Kasthoorimanjal is called as wild turmeric in English. Wild turmeric is an important ingredient in any ayurvedic skin care product and cosmetics. It has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. The yellow pigment in the turmeric makes the skin brighter. It also helps in removing facial hair and pimple marks, when used for a longer time. Women used to apply turmeric paste on their body before taking bath ages before, to give a glow to their skin.
Uses of Kasthoorimanjal:
- During pregnancy, applying a paste of Kastoorimanjal to the lower belly every other day helps to avoid getting stretch marks.
- A mix of honey and turmeric applied as a mask onface helps to get glowingskin.
- Amix ofKastoorimanjal and luke warm coconut oil applied on facehelps to reduce unwanted hair growth.
- A mix of Kasthoorimanjal and sandal wood powder can cure acne if applied regularly.
- A mix of sugar cane juice and Kasthooimanjalhelps to treat wrinkles.
- A mix of buttermilk and Kasthoorimanjal applied neareyes can eliminate the wrinkles and marks.